Monday 21 December 2020

Such a good day out!

 

  Amidst a weekend of mad news it was great to get out and have a few hours on the Slope.  It looked like I wasn’t the only one who thought the same thing, it’s been a long time since I saw so many sports flyers in the Summer, never mind a chilly December day, the size of the pits made social distancing easy and the cold wind made face coverings very welcome.

  I was continue to take 2 Harriers to the hill and end up only flying 1.  Flying the Harrier almost exclusively since June has made me very familiar with and confident in the Harrier.  We did have a go at a video of my flying (in what turned out to be the worst lift of the day)- Not quite the standard of those lovely vids from the US and Europe that I seem to spend my time watching.

  A race season is probably the only way to tell just how fast the Harrier is compared to the other models available.  When the lift comes through she certainly takes off!  It’s a shame and frustration that races are not possible right now but compared to not being able to fly I’ll take it.  It does mean that I have a set of ‘sports’ settings on the Harrier, with bigger throws. I still can’t up-set her.

  Ignoring the range of Baudis Beauties and the always impressive Shinto, it was genuinely great to see the number of built, rather than assembled models.  It’s been a long time since I’ve seen to many Chris Foss kits- proof that a model design does not stop flying well just because it is older.

  I also got the chance to see the new Jim Hammond 2.5m model (sorry no pic).  An interesting design concept of ‘thin and pointy’ from fuselage to wing.   The owner was certainly happy with the built quality, which had been flick tested into the hill the last time out.  Perhaps I am just used to bigger heavier models but it did feel light, despite this it covers a good amount of sky.  The slightly nervous owner was keeping the turns wide and sweeping this time out.

  It could have been the car heater but I have a huge smile on my face all the way home.






1 comment: