Monday 22 November 2021

VR 98 the mythical slope delivers


  With the weather and Welsh winter league not coming together this month I had the chance to meet up with some mates on the VR98 slope.  It's one of the most famous slopes in the UK which can deliver some incredible racing and simply amazing sport flying.  Getting out of the car into the teeth of a stiff winter northerly I also remembered just how dam cold  a place it can be.

  I can't remember the last time I raced on this slope in conditions like this.  With extra layers donned it was to get the first model out of the car, I had offered the Dark Lord Dakin a fly of the Falcon at the Welsh open and so this was the first toy out.  I was pleased with my first flight- and then Greg took his turn- someone had added a rocket and she was screaming around.

  "She's got good carry" as Greg took the Falcon vertical again and screamed is down across the slope.  The Falcon is defiantly Dakin tested tough!

  My next flight I decided to try and copy the style Greg had so well demonstrated, a minute or so in and a monster thermal came through.  The Falcon was off and I flew the fastest course I've ever managed.  This was after Greg and Mark Passingham had done similarly, we all sheltered on the hill with grins like Cheshire cats!

  The Falcon again had me leaving the slope amazingly happy.  But the next race- it will be so tempting to race the Falcon.  I think the 100inch span is about as small as I'd like to get a model like this, at a ballasted 3.5kg she certainly delivers!



it was interesting to see a Needle 100 on the slope.  It didn't fly unfortunately.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment