Monday 26 April 2021

An Epic day on the crest

 When you approach the Bwlch there's always a nagging thought about the trip home.  You could be buzzing after an epic day or reflecting on the work you'll have to fix the bag of bits you have in the boot.

  After the conditions I have flown the Harrier in over the last 12 months I knew the model wasn't going to be the problem but there's always my thumbs to deal with.

  The Harrier was the first to go, once you get her away from the edge the lift was smooth and simply epic.  In these conditions it's easy to go fast, different turns and the distance from the compression just allows you to change from very fast to scary fast.

  It was soon the Falcon's turn, with just 2 flights in very light conditions it is testament that a good moldie just seems to be the best model for today's conditions in just about all conditions I want to fly in. I only ballasted here up to 3.2kg for the first flight, I think maidening your own design should be a 'golden maiden'?

  Thanks to the lads filming the flight to show just how turbulent the conditions were on the edge but she was away.  Despite my thumbs the Falcon handled the conditions wonderfully.  Covering the sky at a pace, I turned the rates down for this high speed flight but the Falcon was still very responsive.  I was pleased with the Falcon in light air but in this air she's amazing. 






  With later harrier flights I finally remembered the up turns I've been trying to learn and this picked the pace up again.  With some timing gear I am confident that mine would not have been the only PB to tumble.  One thing that was apparent with all the models there was just how little the models flex in flight.  My memories of the Bwlch and Crest are of flexing wing tips as the models corner (probably at much lighter weights than we flew) but this has gone.

  The Harrier and Falcon very much held their own in this group of models and I'm a happy flyer for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment